let's find your new home
Search for Real Estate in and around Victoria
Consulting a REALTOR®
REALTORS® are members of The Canadian Real Estate Association who subscribe to a Code of Ethics and Standards of Business Practice. Members of the Victoria Real Estate Board are members of both the British Columbia and Canadian Real Estate Associations.The following is a list of services you can expect to receive from a REALTOR® when you buy a home:
- A REALTOR® will fully explain the details of your working relationship (called "agency") so that you are clear as to when a REALTOR® is working for you or for the seller.
- A REALTOR® has access to hundreds of current listings of homes for sale because of a co- operative system called the Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®).
- A REALTOR® can provide you with a customized list of homes that best meet your needs -- size, style, features, location, proximity to schools, shopping, etc. - and then make arrangements for you to view those homes that appeal to you the most.
- A REALTOR® will help you determine how big a home you can afford. REALTORs® are familiar with the local lending market and can offer helpful advice.
- A REALTOR® has no emotional ties to any type or style of home and can be objective in pointing out the merits of one home over another.
- A REALTOR® will have information on zoning changes, taxes, utility costs and school and recreation services that could affect your decision to buy a home in a specific area.
- A REALTOR® will assist you in negotiating the terms of your purchase, which can be a nerve- wracking process for someone who is not experienced in negotiating.
- A REALTOR® will advise you of the legal process required in obtaining title and taking possession of your property; the costs associated with buying a home such as insurance, mortgage registration and legal fees will be explained in detail.
Source: Victoria Real Estate Board 2015
Selling Your Home - Why it Pays to Use a REALTOR®
Before selling your home, you will need a clear understanding of the legal issues and potential pitfalls. One wrong action could result in a lot of cost and frustration, which is why it is essential to have a REALTOR® working with you, as he or she will make the sale of your home a successful and satisfying experience.Greater exposure
REALTORS® use the Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®) to give your home maximum exposure. MLS® is a computer-based system that relays valuable information about your home to hundreds of REALTORS® and potential homebuyers.Setting a price
Setting a price for your home is an important but difficult process. Again, this is where the services of a REALTOR® prove invaluable. REALTORS® have the experience to help you understand how the market works and decide upon a realistic price that meets your goals. REALTORS® also pre-screen potential buyers to make sure only those who are serious and financially qualified view your home.
REALTORS® will also develop a marketing plan to help your property receive maximum exposure. This will likely include placing your home on the MLS® system and placing a "For Sale" sign on the front lawn. The plan will likely also include arranging open houses for other REALTORS® and potential buyers, and developing advertisements and feature sheets/mailers to market your home.
Once you have accepted an offer to buy your home, your REALTOR® will help ensure that all the proper paperwork is completed. He or she will also make sure that both parties meet the necessary conditions outlined in the agreement.Why working with a REALTOR® makes sense
When you work with a REALTOR® you will likely get a better price for your home than if you try to sell it yourself. Apart from the financial benefits, however, there is an extra measure of comfort and security that comes from having a REALTOR® on your side. Remember that REALTORS® are governed by a code of ethics and standards of business practice. They have also been trained and licensed under the provincial Real Estate Services Act to assist in transactions involving real property. When it comes to buying or selling property, using a REALTOR® just makes sense.
Source: Victoria Real Estate Board 2015
Being a realtor is an awesome responsibility. It’s likely that the real estate purchase or sale that you are considering will represent the largest financial transaction of your lifetime. You can count on me to be your trusted advisor throughout this often complex process by communicating with you early, often and every step of the way. From the start, I will create a winning game plan by carefully listening to your needs, identifying potential problems and offering solutions. I will do everything in my power to not only make your experience stress-free, but to make it fun. Earning your trust and helping you to realize your real estate goals and objectives is my greatest reward.
My roots in the real estate industry run deep with 12 years at BC’s Land Titles Office where I learned all about the administration and registration of real estate in our province before returning to school to study marketing. I graduated from BCIT and launched a successful 20-year marketing career; most of that time leading the marketing team at Black & Decker’s Hardware & Home Improvement Group. Managing multi-million dollar budgets and creating robust sales & marketing programs geared towards our HGTV-inspired customers was part and parcel of my work there.
Born and raised in Vancouver, but with a family tree that extends from Victoria to Port Alice, I have always had a strong connection to Vancouver Island, but it was on a happy visit to Victoria in 2009 that I really fell in love with Victoria’s laid-back lifestyle, easy access to nature and vibrant cultural scene. When the time came to make the move, Victoria’s funky Fernwood neighbourhood caught my eye and captured my heart. On any given day, you may find me volunteering at the Art Gallery, walking my beautiful mutt Nikki at Government House or Beacon Hill Park, or simply sharing good conversation and a pint at the Fernwood Inn.
If you’re thinking about a move, let’s talk!